SAP opened a new era in data processing with the innovative in-memory technology SAP HANA. As with all revolutionary technologies, reactions range from hype to skepticism. The truth however is that the database technology improves the operation of large SAP systems and brings great advantages to SAP customers and gradually all SAP products are moving to SAP HANA.
SAP HANA is the most talked about SAP innovation in recent times and is described by leading industry analysts as “game-changing.” The in-memory platform offers businesses a foundation in which to build a whole new generation of applications offering up data in real-time across the enterprise. Forbes cites that, “SAP has begun delivering taggering new levels of performance for customers ranging from not just 10 or 100 times faster, but quite often 1,000 times faster, occasionally 10,000 times faster, and in a very special case more than 100,000 times faster.”
In addition to the speed, there is no inherent limit to the amount of data or analytical processing SAP HANA can support combining database, data processing and applicationplatform capabilities in-memory. This high speed predictive and text analysis of large data sets provides answers based on real-time information, with results reported “live” even astransactional data continues to be processed. The payoff is dynamic responsiveness that can improve virtually any facet of the business, making the enterprise more agile, responsive and efficient.
HANA buzz is getting bigger now... It is HANA everywhere… as a platform, as a database, in the cloud and on premise, what’s most crucial for customers today and as they look forward to 2015 and beyond. Let’s explore why HANA earned a reputation for “game-changing” real-time platform for analytics and applications:
- SAP HANA has earned a reputation for game-changing speed — and for making the promise of real-time business possible. SAP and Intel®engineers jointly tested the scan speed of an SAP HANA database across a variety of Intel CPU processors. These tests achieved results of 3.19 billion symbol scans per second per core, demonstrating SAP HANA’s Massive Speed compared to traditional databases.
- SAP HANA unlocks the potential of doing business in real time. To test the impact of SAP Business Suite powered by SAP HANA, a third-party financial accounting team conducted a comparison study that simulated a Fortune 1000-size intercompany reconciliation process. Two identically configured environments were compared: a regular ERP Central Component (ECC) environment on traditional database and the other running on SAP HANA. SAP HANA achieved a result 2,000 times faster than the traditional database, making Real-Time Business more achievable in financial organizations.
- SAP, with its partners, set a new record for the world’s largest data warehouse using the SAP HANA platform and SAP IQ software. The data warehouse is 12.1 PB of data, which is four times larger than the prior record. Approximately 50% of the data used in the data warehouse is structured and 50% is unstructured, representing today’s complex data warehouse. The data compression rate is approximately 4 to 1. These results demonstrate a cost-effective and high-performance approach to solving Big Data and analytics problems. This ability to scale to this extreme size is proof that SAP HANA combined with SAP IQ is the solution for your future business needs.
- SAP HANA’s column-oriented database architecture dramatically reduces data storage requirements. An SAP application development team ran a simulation of productive customer data with a 100 million-line financial accounting data set. By porting the data from a classic database to SAP HANA, eliminating unnecessary index and aggregate tables, and enabling operational reporting directly within SAP HANA, the data footprint was reduced by a factor of 37. SAP HANA customers are finding Radical Efficiency.
- SAP HANA combines transactional and analytical processing in a single system, resulting in lower total cost of ownership compared to traditional database systems. By providing a dual OLTP-OLAP architecture, SAP HANA reduces the data footprint, which saves on storage costs; and eliminating the need for data extraction and transfer from OLTP to OLAP saves time and resources.
- Forrester projected 37% cost savings over four years when customers migrate to SAP Business Warehouse (BW) powered by SAP HANA in year one, SAP Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) powered by SAP HANA in year two and start using SAP HANA platform for custom application in year three. Cost saving projection is derived based on actual SAP HANA Platform customer interviews conducted independently by Forrester.
- SAP HANA offers a range of deployment options, including hardware appliances installed in customers’ datacenters and cloud-based installations. SAP HANA hardware appliances are ideal for large enterprises and companies that require on premise hosting; they are available from nine industry-leading hardware partners. SAP HANA cloud offerings range from basic, entry-level instances to enterprise-class managed cloud offerings suitable for running ERP and business-critical applications; and SAP HANA cloud offerings provide choice in licensing models. Cloud-based deployments are ideal for smaller-scale deployments, start-ups and independent software vendors (ISVs), and for situations where a pay-as-you-go model is preferred over larger capital expenditure. These options provide unmatched Choice for customers.
- Fueled by innovation, SAP HANA is the fastest growing product in SAP’s 40-year history. More than 3,400 enterprise customers and 1,500 start-ups use SAP HANA today globally. SAP HANA’s rapid customer adoption and rise in market share are indicators that it is the market’s most advanced in-memory database with clear value being delivered. SAP HANA helps customers Innovate — and capitalize on the disruptive forces of mobile, cloud and Big Data in business today.
- One of the biggest misunderstandings about SAP HANA is that it is only for SAP applications and data. This is false. SAP HANA is an open platform that runs thousands of third-party applications on non-SAP hardware and infrastructure; and partnership and cooperation is key to SAP HANA’s commercial success. SAP HANA is offered on nine industry-leading partners’ hardware. Its cloud offerings are provided by external hosting and management partners on three continents — and rapidly expanding. Independent, third-party application developers and start-ups choose SAP HANA to run their applications and commercialize them via the SAP HANA Marketplace. SAP certification programs help third parties optimize their applications for integration with SAP systems and sell them to SAP’s global customer base. Openness is at the core of SAP HANA.
- Data is a competitive advantage, but only if you can gather and understand it in time which is a huge challenge in today’s sea of data. SAP HANA is an ideal Big Data analytics platform, capable of efficiently loading and rapidly analyzing multiple data types in both structured and unstructured forms. With SAP Data Services, traditional sources of structured data, such as point-of-sale, transactions, customer records, etc., as well as non-traditional, unstructured sources, such as website logs, social media, email, videos, etc., can be loaded into SAP HANA for seamless modeling and analysis. SAP HANA offers the Flexibility to gather hidden insights from data that has historically been impractical to analyze.
- SAP HANA enables businesses to analyze enormous data sets to make business decisions faster. Unilever, a €50 billion fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) company that operates in more than 190 countries, wished to improve its manufacturing decision-making and consolidate 250 manufacturing systems to four core ERP systems. With SAP HANA, Unilever was able to achieve over 10,000 times faster process acceleration, making real-time decisions at the shop floor level throughout its 60 European sourcing units and 300 distribution centers. Unilever is one of about 20 SAP HANA customers to have achieved a 10,000X improvement in its Speed to Decision.
Buinsberry consultants are hands-on with both widespread industry knowledge and SAP HANA technology, and leverage the strength of Buinsberry SAP alliance as SAP Independent Software Vendor (ISV). Hence we are well-placed to offers clients end-to-end in-memory solutions – all the way from planning to migration to analytics and development of new apps for SAP HANA. Our accreditedstate of the art “Global Delivery Center”coupled with a large pool of in-memory experts, ensures SAP HANA becomes more and more a part of our clients’ business success.
Services We Offer
SAP Services we offer
Implementation & Rollouts
Customer Relations Management
Supply Chain Management
Human Capital Management
Supplier Relationship Management
Enterprise Asset Management
Portfolio & Project Management
Enterprise Information Management
Governance, Risk and Compliance
Training & Testing